A court entered your child custody agreement and child support order based on the information available at the time. As you know, life can change quickly and without warning, and you may find that your agreements and orders no longer apply.

When Is A Modification To Child Custody Granted?

The simple answer to that question is when it serves the best interests of your children. If you and the other parent agree that changes in either of your lives or the children’s lives warrant a change in your current arrangement and modify it, the court may approve it as long as it meets the aforementioned criteria.

If you cannot come to an agreement, the court will look for a substantial change in circumstances that warrants a modification. Even if you can prove that your circumstances have changed, the court will still want assurances that modifying your custody agreement will be the best course of action for your children.

When Is A Modification To Child Support Granted?

If you lose your job, experience a serious medical issue or otherwise go from having the ability to meet your financial obligations to your children to not being able to make the payments, the last thing you should do is simply stop making payments. You could find yourself facing serious repercussions in court.

Instead, you may want to ask the court to modify your child support either temporarily or permanently. If you currently receive child support and experience a substantial change in your financial circumstances, you may also file a request with the court for a modification.

In either case, the court will only approve a child support modification if the requesting party can show a substantial change that warrants it. Our attorneys can work with you to help you present the best evidence possible to the court in an attempt to meet your needs and goals while making sure that you continue to support your children as best as you can.

Contact An Attorney

The lawyers at Robert A. Plantz & Associates, LLC, offer a free initial consultation (excluding landlord-tenant requests) to discuss your child custody and child support modification needs. Contact us online or at our Merrillville office at 219-561-0263, which serves clients throughout northwest Indiana.

10 Best | Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys | 2016
BBB | Accredited Business | A+ Rating
Avvo | Clients' Choice | Family Law | 2017
Lake County Bar Association
Indiana State Bar Association
The National Trial Lawyers | Trial Lawyers